8 July 2015
2015 PR Challenge
How do we know this CrossFit stuff works? Well, you know, we test you. Here's a simplified version of how you can be our lab rats for six weeks! That is, if you sign up for the PR Challenge.
1. We ask a question about the general fitness level at our box. Can we increase running efficiency in the short summer season we have in Upstate NY? Can we build pulling strength and fine-tune various styles of pulling technique?
2. We do some research. This is all about collecting the best methods to use to improve performance in the specified areas that need improvement. We'll gather information from colleagues, our own findings, the CrossFit Journal, etc.
3. Construct a hypothesis. In six weeks we will improve running efficiency by doing.... In six weeks we can increase pulling strength by doing...and those "doing" details are built into our programming that you'll experience over the six weeks.
4. Experiment. This is where your role comes in. We need you to experiment on. That means, consistency and your best effort, every single class. We'll need you to submit yourselves to 2 tests. The first, being a WOD, either Helen or Nicole. You'll need to give your best effort for this first test. Trust us, we know when you're not doing your best, we watch you exercise several hours a week. ;-) If you sandbag your first workout, you'll be asked to re-test, and suffer a severe burpee penalty after. Then, at the end of the six weeks, you'll perform the same workout, exactly as it was prescribed for you on July 18th. We limit the variables to one (time), so the data can be valid and reliable. If you use a green band for pullups on July 18, you'll also use a green band for pullups on August 29th.
5. Celebrate your effort and analyze data. All efforts will be recognized with a fun event on August 29th. It will be set up like a competition but the only person you'll be racing to beat is yourself from 6 weeks ago. One of a kind shirts will be handed out along with a final award ceremony.
Any current 7VCF member can sign up. Do so on our Zen Planner Calendar for July 18. Arrange to do your first test sometime during the week leading up to July 18 or on that day. We'll have a schedule at the box for signups next week.
Anyone participating will get a sweet shirt AND FREE entrance to a pullup clinic that will focus on kipping/butterfly skills.
Workout of the Day
Posted on Tue, July 7, 2015
by Dana Soprano