17 October 2014
I would like to start out by saying thank you to all of you that responded to my last post. It was truly awesome to read about your first CrossFit experiences! I would also like to apologize about the deception. I truly did not mean to post the wrong WOD but it all worked out because people had more time to respond. Everybody has truly kicking butt this week and I would like to end this weeks string of posts by talking to you about competitions.
We are shipping a group of our members up to Syracuse this weekend to participate in the Festivus Games. For those of you that don't know about the competition it is commonly referred to as the "festivus for the rest of us" and it is designed for people that are newer to CrossFit. It is an extremely fun time and it is truly awesome to have people that you have never met before cheer you on. Many of you push yourselves extremely hard during class but there truly is no experience like working out in front of a crowd.
I would like to leave you all with a little bit of pre-game advice when it comes to competitions. So in no particular order...
• Have a plan. You cant just go out there on the 2k row and pull with everything that you have right from the get go. Decide what time that you would like to finish with and pace accordingly. Same goes for your 5rm Dead Lift, don't hit the floor and attempt your 1rm from last week.
• Warm up. There is a reason we take 20mins each class for warming up and stretching. DO NOT go into a WOD cold.
• Make healthy eating a drinking habits. I wouldn't suggest chowing down on Taco Bells new breakfast menu and chasing it with 2 Monsters and a case of 5 hour energys. Be smart with what you put in your body, garbage in garbage out. That being said, stick to what you know works for you. I wouldn't suggest trying out a whole bottle of liquid fish oil or half a bag of that fancy new protein powder.
• Be prepared for a long day. Have a bag with a change of clothes and plenty of healthy snacks/drinks available. I know that Maria has been stocking up on FitAids and Huscle bars this week as well as prepping some meat and veggies. The last time that I did a competition I COMPLETELY forgot to bring deodorant. Luckily for me (and everybody else around me) Meigan had en extra stick of it that I stole.
• HAVE FUN! We all know that we have a good time in class and there is no reason that you can't at a competition. It is a super supportive environment and I am PUMPED about all of the PR's that are to come.
Strength: Back Squats
WOD: 100 Burpees to OH target
"Only those who are willing to risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
- T.S Elliot
Posted on Thu, October 16, 2014